& Public Discussions
Women In Media & News regularly articulates women's stake in media
content, policy and reform at journalism and academic
conferences, political forums and public discussions.
Selected events involving WIMN Executive Director Jennifer L. Pozner, Board Chair Lisa Jervis, and other WIMN board members are below.
Need a speaker for your next conference? Contact WIMN if you'd like one of us to participate.
WIMN can also help you identify diverse women speakers with expertise in media analysis, production, policy and advocacy.
Stay up to date. Visit What's New for WIMN's schedule of upcoming conferences and other events, including our college lecture series on media and popular culture and media training workshops.
• "Making Noise, Making Change: Women and Media," community discussion with Jennifer L. Pozner, co-sponsored by Reclaim the Media and Seattle NOW, Seattle, Wash., April 17, 2006
• "Missing Voices: Women & the News," panel participation by Jennifer L. Pozner, CUNY Graduate Center, New York, NY, April 10, 2006
• Panels and workshops at WAM!2006: Women, Action & Media conference, co-sponsored by Center for New Words and MIT, Cambridge, Mass., March 31- April 2, 2006
• "I Want My FemTV: Third Wave Feminisms and the Media," panel participation by Jennifer L. Pozner, College of New Jersey, Ewing, N.J., March 1, 2006
• National Conference on Organized Resistance, panel participation by Lisa Jervis, Washington, D.C., Feb. 4-5, 2006:
"Preaching to the Converted? A Discussion on the Role of Media in Social Justice Movements," "The Economics of Independent Media"
• "Speaking So That They Can Hear Us: Reclaiming and Reframing The Feminist Agenda," panel participation by Lisa Jervis and
WIMN's Voices bloggers Makani Themba Nixon and Lakshmi Chaudhry, Chicago Foundation for Women's 20th Anniversary Annual Luncheon & Symposium, Sept. 19, 2005
• Women's Caucus co-facilitated by Jennifer L. Pozner and WIMN board member Liza Dichter (co-founder of the Center for International Media Action) at the National Conference on Media Reform sponsored by FreePress, St. Louis, Mo., May 13-15, 2005
• Panels and workshops at WAM!2005: Women, Action & Media conference, co-sponsored by Center for New Words and MIT, Cambridge, Mass., March 18-20, 2005:
"Root Causes, Our Cures: Women's Activism for Media Justice and Reform," an interactive workshop facilitated by Jennifer L. Pozner and WIMN board member Liza Dichter, as well as by Inja Coats from Media Tank, Anne Elizabeth Moore from Independents' Day Media, and media activist Nan Rubin
"Housewives, Bitches and Swans: Where's the Feminism in Pop Culture?" participation by Jennifer L. Pozner and Lisa Jervis
"Building a Better Noise Machine," participation by Lisa Jervis
• "Reclaiming the Media for a Progressive Feminist Future," Jennifer L. Pozner reads her essay from the post-2004 election "instant book" What We Do Now, at Bluestockings Books, New York, N.Y., January 2005
• "Third Wave Goodbye," opening plenary speech by Lisa Jervis at "Women in the Middle: Borders, Barriers, Intersections," National Women's Studies Association conference, June 2004
• Panels and workshops at WAM!2004 Women, Action & Media conference, co-sponsored by Center for New Words and Simmons College, Boston, Mass., May 2004:
"Agitating and Advocating: Keeping Watch on Women's Inclusion," participation by Jennifer L. Pozner
Using the Media to Build a Movement, " participation by Lisa Jervis
"Talking To Each Other: The Future of Feminist and Indy Media," participation by Lisa Jervis
• "Media and Representation," panel participation by Jennifer L. Pozner, Reclaim the Media Community Media Conference, Seattle, Wash., Sept. 14, 2002
• "'What Responsibility Did the Women Have?': Framing Gender, Race and Rape in the Media," panel participation by Jennifer L. Pozner, Barnard College, New York, N.Y., July 2002
• "Strategies for Building & Networking Public Media," participation by Jennifer L. Pozner, Media Democracy Teach-In, American University, Washington, D.C., March 2002
The following panels and discussions were conducted by WIMN's Executive Director Jennifer L. Pozner prior to WIMN:
• "Building and Supporting Positive Images of Women in Media," presentation sponsored by Westchester NOW, New York, June 2001
• "Through the Lens of Sexism: Dateline and the Central Park Attacks," panel discussion and screening sponsored by the NYC chapter of NOMAS (National Organization of Men Against Sexism), New York, N.Y., May 2001
• "Girl Talk: Lesbian Visibility & the News," panel discussion sponsored by GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Discrimination), New York, N.Y., April 2001
• "The Global Gag Rule: Abortion, Free Speech & the Press," panel discussion sponsored by FAIR (Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting), New York, N.Y., March 2001
• "Building Women's Media," panel discussion at the Ms. Magazine Millennium Conference, New York, N.Y., October 2000
• "Youth and the Media: Finding a Positive Image," panel discussion at the National Youth Convention, a counter-program to the Republican National Convention; Drexel University, Philadelphia, Penn., August 2000
• "Moving to the Next Stage: Breaking Barriers for Women In Media," panel at "Expo 2000 for Women's Empowerment," sponsored by the Feminist Majority, Washington, D.C., April 2000
• "Women's Media: Building Feminist Alternatives to Commercial Media," panel discussion sponsored by FAIR (Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting), New York, N.Y., March, 2000
Print this Page